Slideshow

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Heads You Lose book review

Heads You LoseHeads You Lose by Lisa Lutz

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Hah, I just saw this in my 'currently reading' file at Goodreads, though I finished it months ago. So here's a belated rating (based entirely on faulty, balky, demented memory).

Here's the thing. I loved all of Lisa Lutz's Spellman books, which were as fun and wacky as anything Evanovich put out (I recommend both authors whole-heartedly and even whole-kidneyly).

But this book falls a bit short, mostly due to her partner, David Hayward, who is also Lutz's ex-boyfriend, emphasis on the 'ex.'

The story was a bit lackluster, with chunks of 'why did they say that?' (mostly from him)... but that said, I really, really recommend this book. And here's why.

Capitalizing on their 'ex' status, they alternated writing chapters, never telling the other where they were going, what they intended, and at the end of each chapter as they lobbed the WIP at the other, they would defy, demand, reparte, accost and insult the other to do a better job, or stop killing off their favorite not-yet-developed characters.

In other words, the emails back and forth at the end of each chapter were a hoot, and made the book not just worthwhile, but fun (two of the stars on my rating are entirely accountable to this).

So if you're looking for a great book, don't get this one. But if you like insults and snark, get it.

Norm

http://www.normcowie.com



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment